Saturday, October 11, 2014

Parque Forestal La Marquesa

We and the other senior couples spent a few hours today at Parque Forestal La Marquesa. This park is located up in the hills above Guaynabo, a very populated suburb of San Juan.The city has built a beautiful road up into the hills and has also invested money by putting in an aerial tram, a tram that drives up the road, a butterfly pavilion, and a bird aviary. There is also an observation tower with beautiful views of San Juan. I think more attractions will be added to the park over time. 
Elder Bennett, Elder Eakle, Hermana Eakle, Hermana Porter, Elder Porter, Hermana Lee, Elder Lee, and Elder Scott set off on a Saturday morning adventure in the beautiful hills above Guaynabo. The Wentzels joined us after this picture was taken. I didn't know we were supposed to be in standard missionary attire. I guess we are the rebel senior couple.
The butterfly pavilion just had monarch butterflies, but there were a lot of them. They were growing more in a a lab near the pavilion. 

The aviary has tropical birds. I think most are brought in from Central and South America. They were quite tame. 
This one turned around and stuck its face right in the camera as I was taking the picture. 
Another obviously beautiful and colorful bird.

This one came up and tried to bite off my big toe when I wasn't looking. Then it started following me around. 
The view from the aerial tram. The camera doesn't show the vibrancy of the bright orange flamboyan trees. 
The aerial tram going in the other direction. 

Heading back down the hill. I think the longer I'm in Puerto Rico, the more I am becoming accustomed to the lush greenery. This scenery just looks so normal now. I think Colorado and Utah will look very flat and brown when we return.
The observation tower is up at the top of that hill. We rode the street tram part of the way up and then had to hike a very steep path. I think I will be sore tomorrow. 
These trees are soooo tall. 
Elder Scott riding down the tram. 
We live next door to those tall building right in the center of the picture. The thing that looks like a crane is really an observation tower next to one of the hills near the science center in Bayamon. The science center hasn't been open since we have been here. You can see the ocean off in the distance which is actually about 5 or 6 miles north of where we live. It's not a swimming beach area because it's just the harbor next to Catano. I zoomed in a lot so it's really not that close. 
The hotels and condos along the shore in San Juan are off in the distance. It's rather blurry because I zoomed in as much as possible. 

My first attempt at a panoramic photo. It is too small to see, but Bayamon is off on the left and San Juan is to the right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment